Updated: May 19, 2020
Looking for a warming and hearty salad that is the perfect dish to bring to all those family holidays?
Look no further.
This one is a crowd pleaser!
3 Delicata squash, sliced in half, deseeded and and cut into moons or 1/2 large butternut squash, cubed
1/2 T olive oil
1 cup millet, cooked
2 bundles of kale, massaged
1 can of brown lentils, or 1 1/2 C
1/2 cup cranberries
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
For the dressing:
1/4 cup + 2 T olive oil
1/4 cup + 2 T apple cider vinegar
3 T maple syrup
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon paprika
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Prepare the delicate squash, toss in 1/2T olive oil and roast in oven for 35 minutes.
3. Cook the millet by adding it to 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Chop cranberries and pecans and kale.
5. To make dressing, combine all ingredients in a mason jar and shake it up.
6. Assemble salad. Combine millet, kale, lentils, cranberries and pecans and squash in a large serving
bowl. Reserve some squash, cranberries and pecans for the top.
7. Drizzle 1/4 of the dressing over the ingredients and combine. I don't add the rest of the dressing until it
is ready to serve. Or you can keep it on the side and allow your guests to add however much they
8. Top the dish with your leftover squash, cranberries and pecans to make it look beautiful.
- Not a kale fan? Replace it with arugula or spinach. Or mix and match all three.
- Switch out lentils for any bean. I prefer the lentils because they have a warming flavor to match the
- Switch out the millet for quinoa, rice or couscous.
- Cranberries can be exchanged for fresh pomegranate seeds or tart dried cherries.
- Use walnuts or pecans for almonds.
- Can't find delicate squash? Use roasted sweet potatoes or butternut squash.
There are so many options with this salad. Use what you have on hand. The dressing is the showstopper here! You will most definitely be asked for the recipe!