Hi there, friends!!
WELCOME TO SOUP WEEK!!!
7 days, 7 recipes.
Of just soup.
Hope you enjoy!
Today we are talking a smoked paprika, ham and potato soup.
One I crafted last year and has been a favorite ever since.
It is warm & hearty, has the most comforting flavor and is so easy to make.
& as with all soups, it reheats nicely (something about those flavors mingling is 👌🏼) and can be froze for up to three months.
But, you probably won't need to do that, because seconds of this recipe are sure to happen.
Just look how hearty and delightful she looks!
To start, you will need : evoo, onion, garlic, smoked paprika, cayenne, Yukon gold potatoes, vegetable broth, lemon, salt, cashew milk (or heavy cream) & cubed ham.
First, you will need to chop your onions and garlic.
Then chop your potatoes. Make sure you chop these in even cubes so they cook evenly in the soup.
Next, add some olive oil to a pan and fry up the onions giving them a good sweat.
Once your onions have sweat it out for a bit, add the garlic, smoked paprika, cayenne and salt. Toss for about 30 seconds until the garlic becomes fragrant.
At this point, you will toss in the diced potatoes and vegetable broth. Bring it to a boil, simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes, add your ham, cashew milk, lemon and kale to the pot. Give it a good stir and simmer with lid on for another 10 minutes.
The only thing left to do is serve it up and enjoy!
This soup will do well in the freezer for up to three months.
Soups with potatoes in them do tend to get a little starchy when froze and thawed, but just add a little extra broth when reheating. Or doctor it up even more and add some cream or cheddar cheese.
Love serving this soup with homemade biscuits topped with honey butter.
You can't go wrong!
RECIPE PDF 👇🏼
1 tablespoon evoo
1 small sweet onion
6 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon smoked paprika (make sure it's smoked; pairs so well with the ham!)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne, optional (only if you want a kick, we normally do 1/4 tsp)
5 medium sized Yukon gold potatoes, diced evenly
6 cups vegetable broth
1 # cubed ham (we love Beeler's whole hams)
1 tablespoon lemon juice, fresh
3-4 cups kale
1/4 cup cashew milk (or heavy cream)
Chop your onions, garlic and potatoes. Make sure your potatoes are evenly cubed so they cook evenly in the soup.
Add the olive oil to a pan and sauté the onions until they are nicely browned. Add the garlic, smoked paprika, cayenne if using and salt and give it a good mix and sauté until the garlic is fragrant. About 30 seconds.
Add the diced potatoes and vegetable broth. Bring it to a boil, simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes, add the ham, cashew milk, lemon and kale. Give it a good stir and simmer with the lid on for another 10 minutes.
Serve and enjoy!!
- As you know, we don't do much dairy. But feel free to replace the cashew milk with heavy cream.
- If using cashew milk, I blend 1/4 cup cashews with 1 cup milk in a high speed blender until smooth. Takes about two minutes. Super easy, no need to use a nut cloth to strain. Keeps in refrigerator for 5 days.
- If you do dairy well, adding 1/4 cup of sharp cheddar cheese to this soup would be divine!
- We love to use Beeler's hams. I recommend buying a good cooked ham, and slicing it up and storing it in your freezer in usable portions for instances like this. Or maybe for when you just want a ham sandwich. The prepackaged cubed stuff is never good.
- This soup will keep for up to three months in the freezer. As always, soups with potatoes tend to get a little starchy when reheated. Add some extra broth, cream or cheese to liven it up again.
- This soup pairs excellent with some homemade biscuits topped with honey butter!
As always, let me know if you make the soup. & sent me pictures. I love that! 🤗